Join us and be a mentor.
You can do this!
Share Your Experience and Make a Difference
The GMI Mission
GMI prepares underserved college students around the world for success in their job search by providing them with the tools and guidance needed to be successful. This is accomplished through a structured, short-term, online, one to one mentorship with a business professional.
GMI Makes it Easy to be a Great Mentor
- 14 one-hour sessions by video conference. No expectation to continue working with your student after the 14 sessions.
- You can designate which student country or college you prefer when you apply.
- GMI provides everything you need – step by step with the Mentor Resources Portal.
- Each session has a mentor guide and student materials to provide a consistent approach.
- You don’t need to be an expert, just add your own personal experience.
- GMI provides email templates to communicate with your student after each session, saving time.
How to Get Started
- Please complete the online application below.
- Mentor candidates should be at least 25 years old and have a BA/BS in their chosen field.
- Because we are working with a vulnerable student group, GMI requires a criminal background check for mentors. For US mentors, this is conducted independently through Sterling Volunteers. GMI requests that you cover the $11 cost for this. Otherwise, there is no cost to be a GMI mentor.
- If you reside outside of the US, other verification options are available to make it easy to be a mentor. We will follow up with you after you apply.
- After applying, you are asked to view a 30-minute online mentor orientation before your first mentoring session.
- After you apply below, GMI will contact you with the next steps to be matched with a student.
- Thank you for giving your time to help someone who will appreciate it!
Still Have Questions?
If you still have questions, we’re glad to meet to provide more details. We have optional standing 30-minute Q&A meetings every week.