Join Your IAOP Colleagues
and Become a GMI Mentor!
Share Your Experience with an Underserved College Student and Make a Difference
The GMI Mission
GMI prepares underserved college students around the world for success in their job search by providing them with the tools and guidance needed to be successful. This is accomplished through a structured, short-term, one to one mentorship with a business professional.
What Students Learn
GMI mentorship guides students to:
- Establish a professional business network using LinkedIn
- Develop soft skills to excel in business
- Improve communication skills for a global business environment
- Create a career plan and set measurable goals
- Build a resume/CV that gets noticed by job recruiters
- Leverage templates and guides for conducting a job search
- Master the job interview process with confidence
- Distinguish themselves in their first job
“It’s so important to enable the younger generation with tools and skills to enter the workforce and learn from the experiences of others. GMI has a great method for this and a great structure for mentoring that makes it easy.”
-Sara Nagy, Microsoft
College Partnerships Provide Students from Around the World
GMI partners with colleges in 23 locations including nine in the United States. Students are nominated by their teachers for mentorship based on their underserved status and commitment to the program. You can select the college or student location if you have a preference.
Mentor a Graduating Refugee to Help Them Find Work
GMI has a special partnership with Southern New Hampshire University to provide mentors for students living in refugee camps across Africa and Lebanon. GMI helps prepare these students for jobs in the camps and the surrounding cities and this can be the first step to a better life for their families.
GMI Makes it Easy to be a Great Mentor
- 14 one-hour sessions by video conference
- No expectation to continue working with the student after the 14 sessions
- GMI provides everything you need – step by step with the Mentor Resources Portal
- You don’t need to be an expert, just add your own personal experience
A Consistent and Scalable Approach to Mentorship
- Each session has a mentor guide and student materials to provide a consistent approach
- Email templates to communicate with your student after each session, saving time
- Everything you need in one location
“I mentor students and professionals through a variety of programs and find GMI the best structured by far. They make it easy to achieve outstanding results for your mentee with just a 14-week commitment.”
-Lawrence Kane, Author – Sensei Mentor Teacher Coach: Powerful Leadership for Leaderless Times
Ready to Get Started?
- Sign up using the form below
- After applying, you will be sent instructions on how to view a 30-minute online mentor orientation before your first mentoring session
- GMI will contact you with the next steps to be matched with a student
Still Have Questions?
You can learn more about GMI in this short video.